WHY DOES RADIO WORK?
- People own radios in third world countries which has become a status symbol. Most people do not have access to TV or internet so radio is the only way for acquiring information.
- Listening to radio is a social event, involving family, friends, and neighbors and has become an informal form of education.
- Literacy rate is about 40%.
- Third-world countries communicate orally, therefore information has historically been passed down by word of mouth.
- Christian radio is well received and respected because it avoids political battles yet teaches justice and moral values. It does not criticize other religions and seeks to build up the listeners self worth and inspire significance, while the primary purpose is to proclaim the love and hope of Jesus Christ.
WHY DO WE NEED TO SET UP RADIO STATIONS NOW?
- Because the religious freedom that currently exists could be taken away in the future.
- Because right now radio stations are not taxed and there is no fee to purchase a license and frequency.
- Radio frequencies are available in many villages but no radio stations have been built.
BENEFITS FROM THE RADIO STATIONS:
- Evangelism, discipleship training and strengthening new believers.
- Marriage and family training (Focus on the Family).
- Bible stories for children.
- Daily radio broadcasts would not only include religious programming, but also information valuable to helping make village life better such as health, farming, and sanitation programs.
- Programs about life in their countries.
- Teaching English as a second language.
- Correspondence courses.